Roger Clarke's 'History of I.S. in Australia'
Version of 23 March 2007
This file contains Appendix 4 to the paper
Retrospective on the Information Systems Discipline in Australia'
Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, 2005-07
Available under an AEShareNet licence or a Creative
This document is at
This Appendix lists Professors whose background and role appear to place
considerable weight on Information Systems. Appointments in cognate
disciplines such as Accounting and Computer Science have been included,
provided that the individual or their CV indicates a close affinity with the IS
community. It does not include any of the following: Associate Professors,
Visiting Professors, Adjunct Professors and Professorial Fellows (unless known
to be full-time for an extended period). The intention is to identify
long-term, full-time positions, and the people who are in them, or have been in
The starting-point for this collection was the Australian and Asia-Pacific
Directories (Clarke 1988, 1991, Gable & Clarke 1994, 1996). It is of the
nature of both the early, printed Directories and the self-maintained
Online Directory since 1995, that both omissions and mis-classifications
occur. The proportion of IS Professors who have established and
maintained their own entries is extremely disappointing (only 30/69!).
A (D) indicates that the person had an entry in the Directory in March 2007 and
a (NO) means there was no entry.
Where a number in square brackets is provided after the name, it indicates the
sequence in which the appointments were made (1974-1992 only - which appears to
cover 'the first 11'). The years shown are only those during which the person
is known to have held a Chair - it is a list of Professors, not an attempt to
show each person's full career.
This Appendix includes such corrections and updates as have been communicated
to me. Please
the author of errors and omissions. I regret any slight or embarrassment -
but the means to correct the record is at your fingertips.
The first list below is by institution, with current Chairs underlined; and the
second list is by surname. The current count appears to be 52
Professors in 28 institutions. A total of 69 individuals have been
identified as having held Chairs, in 31 of the c. 42 institutions.
- ADFA - Newton (1)
- AGSM - Yetton, Vitale (1)
- ANU - Gregor (1)
- Bond - Goldsworthy, Morrison, Finnie (2)
- CDU - Lueg, Haynes (1)
- CSU - Cornish, Poon (1)
- CQU - Hovenga (1)
- Curtin - Galliers, Pervan, Lloyd, Chang (3)
- Deakin - Swatman P.A., Corbitt, Castleman, Warren (2)
- ECU - Burn, Standing (1)
- Griffith - Cecez-Kezmanovic, Davies, Gammack, Eklund (1)
- Macquarie - Jordan, Johnson, Offen (3)
- Melbourne - Vitale, Morrison, Sonenberg, Ferguson,
- Melbourne GSM - Vitale, Weill (-)
- Monash - Arnott, Steele, Juliff, Dooley, Shanks,
- Newcastle - Aisbett (1)
- UNSW - Brookes, Jeffery, Lawrence, Low, Cavaye,
- Notre Dame - Glasson (-)
- Queensland - Weber, Orlowska, Green (2)
- QUT - Papazoglou, Gable, Underwood, Rosemann (2)
- RMIT - Swatman, Corbitt, Smith (2)
- UniSA - Koronios, Swatman, Swatman (3)
- SCU - Cavaye, Murugesan (1)
- Sunshine Coast - Fitzgerald (1)
- Swinburne - Grant (1)
- Sydney - Patrick, Elliot, O'Connor (3)
- Tasmania - Leech, Keen, Marshall, Lueg (2)
- UTS - Hawryszkiewycz, Henderson-Sellers (2)
- VU - McGrath, Zeleznikow (2)
- UWS - Cecez-Kezmanovic (-)
- Wollongong - Gaffikin, Winley, Eklund (2)
- Janet AISBETT (NO) - Uni Newcastle, 2000?-
- David ARNOTT  (NO) - Monash, 1990-
- Cyril BROOKES  (NO) - UNSW 1974-1994
- Janice BURN (D) - ECU, 1997-2005?
- Tanya CASTLEMAN (D) - Deakin, 2002-
- Angele CAVAYE (D) - SCU 2000-2002?, UNSW, 2002?-
- Dubravka CECEZ-KEZMANOVIC (D) - Griffith, 1993-97?, UWS 1998?-2002?, UNSW
- Elizabeth CHANG (NO) - Curtin, 2002?-
- Brian CORBITT (NO) - VUW 1998?-2000?, Deakin 2000?-2003?, RMIT, 2003?-
- Brian CORNISH (NO) - CSU, 1995?-
- Lynda DAVIES (NO) - Griffith, 1995?-2000?
- Laurence DOOLEY (D) - Monash, 2000?-
- Peter EKLUND (D) - Griffith 1998-2002, Uni of Wollongong, 2004-
- Steve ELLIOT (NO) - Uni Sydney, 2002-?
- Colin FERGUSON (D) - Uni Melbourne, 2004-
- Gavin Finnie (NO) - Bond, 2005-
- Ed FITZGERALD (D) - Sunshine Coast, 2003-
- Guy GABLE (D) - QUT, 1999?-
- Michael GAFFIKIN (D) - Uni Wollongong, 1988(Accting)-
- Bob GALLIERS  (NO) - WAIT/Curtin, 1987-88
- John GAMMACK (D) - 2000-
- Bernie GLASSON (D) - Notre Dame, 2000-2003?
- Ashley GOLDSWORTHY (NO) - Bond, 1994?-1999?
- Doug GRANT (D) - Swinburne, 2000?-
- Peter GREEN (NO) - UQ, 2002?-
- Shirley GREGOR (D) - ANU, 2001-
- Igor HAWRYSZKIEWYCZ  (NO) - UTS, 1990-
- John HAYNES (NO) - CDU, 2005?-
- Brian HENDERSON-SELLERS (NO) - UTS, 1998?-
- Evelyn HOVENGA (D) - CQU, 2000?-
- Ross JEFFERY  (NO) - UNSW, 1990-
- Michael JOHNSON (D) - Macquarie, 1997?-
- Ernest JORDAN (D) - Macquarie, 1998?-
- Peter JULIFF  (NO) - Monash, 1990-1997?
- Chris KEEN (NO) - UTas, 1999-2007
- Andy KORONIOS (D) - UniSA, 2002-
- Michael LAWRENCE  (NO) - UNSW, 1991-2004?
- Stewart LEECH  (NO) - UTas, 1992-2000, UniMelb, 2000-
- Ashley LLOYD (NO) - Curtin, 2002-
- Christopher LUEG (D) - CDU, 2004-2005, UTas, 2005-
- Graham LOW (D) - UNSW, 1998?-
- Michael McGRATH (D) - Victoria Uni, 2002-
- Peter MARSHALL (D) - Uni Tasmania, 2001-
- Iain MORRISON (NO) - UniMelb, 1997?-2003?, Bond 2003?-
- San MURUGESAN (D) - Southern Cross, 2002-
- Charles NEWTON (NO) - ADFA, 2001?-
- Marcus O'CONNOR (NO) - Uni Sydney, 2002?-
- Raymond OFFEN (NO) - Macquarie, 1995?-
- Maria ORLOWSKA  (NO) - UQ, 1990-
- Mike PAPAZOGLOU (NO) - QUT, 1993?-1999?
- Jon PATRICK (D) - Sydney, 1998-
- Graham PERVAN (NO) - Curtin, 1996-
- Simpson POON (D) - CSU, 2001?-2004?
- Michael ROSEMANN (D) - QUT, 2004-
- Graeme SHANKS (NO) - Monash, 2003-2006, Melbourne 2006-
- Ross SMITH (D) - RMIT, 2007-
- Liz SONENBERG (D) - UniMelb, 2001?-
- Craig STANDING (D) - ECU, 2003?-
- Phillip STEELE  (NO) - Monash, 1990-2001?
- Paul A. SWATMAN (NO) - Deakin 1997-2000, SIMT in Germany, 2000-2003,
- Paula M.C. SWATMAN (D) - RMIT 1998-2000, Koblenz 2000-2003, UniSA, 2004-
- Alan UNDERWOOD - QUT, 2004-2006
- Michael VITALE (D) - UniMelb, 1996-1999?, Melb GSM 1999?-2001?, AGSM,
- Matthew WARREN (NO), Deakin, 2004-
- Ron WEBER  (D) - UQ 1981-2004, Monash 2004-
- Peter WEILL (NO) - Melbourne GSM, 1993-2002?, MIT 2002?-
- Graham WINLEY (NO) - UWoll, 1994-2002
- Philip YETTON (NO) - AGSM, 1993-2006
- John ZELEZNIKOW (D) - Victoria Uni, 2002-
The content and infrastructure for these community service pages are provided by Roger Clarke through his consultancy company, Xamax.
From the site's beginnings in August 1994 until February 2009, the infrastructure was provided by the Australian National University. During that time, the site accumulated close to 30 million hits. It passed 50 million in early 2015.
the extended Clarke Family,
Knights of the Spatchcock
Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd
ACN: 002 360 456
78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611 AUSTRALIA
Tel: +61 2 6288 6916
Created: 11 March 2005 -
Last Amended: 23 March 2007
by Roger Clarke
- Site Last Verified: 15 February 2009
This document is at www.rogerclarke.com/SOS/AISHistApp4-0703.html
Mail to Webmaster -
© Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, 1995-2017 -